Tuesday, December 21, 2021

December 21--Dyed-in-the-Wool Faith

The only faith that wears well and holds its color in all weathers is that which is woven of conviction and set with the sharp mordant of experience. 
--James Russell Lowell

    "Mordant" is a new word to me. Wikipedia defines it: "A mordant or dye fixative is a substance used to set dyes on fabrics by forming a coordination complex with the dye, which then attaches to the fabric. It may be used for dyeing fabrics or for intensifying stains in cell or tissue preparations." With the quote above, we are talking about faith that comes from experience that has colored our very soul. It is a faith that "walks the walk," not simply "talks the talk." 
    Certainly earthly life gives us all the experience we need to develop faith. That ultimately is our choice, whether or not to believe in Something Bigger. Too many things have happened along my life line that I could not have orchestrated by myself alone. It is easy for me to hold that conviction that a Higher Power has my back. Without that conviction, life would feel fairly rudderless. 
    Learning and growing,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment