Thursday, July 8, 2021

July 8--Risky Business

Only those who risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. 
--T. S. Eliot

    One excellent thing teaching yoga and Melt Method has taught me is that I'm just a regular human. I tell my classes, "It's a good thing you don't have to have perfect balance to be a yoga teacher." The practices are just as good for my body/mind/spirit as they are for the students. I'm continually learning, and often bring new moves to class, and that's always a stretch. Will I explain it adequately? Can I do it properly? We work with a roller, and I've fallen off many times. No damage done, I just look silly. Sometimes I use that to advantage, to help other folks know that perfection is not required. The search for perfection kills the prospect of finding one's limits. 
    Taking art classes over the past few years has been a huge risk for me. "I can't paint!" I started with one of those drink-wine-and-learn-to-paint-with-girlfriends adventures, which comically enough, rocked my world about how painting is done. That inspired several classes with an infinitely talented and patient instructor at Wichita's City Arts. I've learned much about myself through taking these classes, and the painting I did during the pandemic lockdown kept me fairly sane. You could have never convinced me ten years ago that I would have so much fun with painting.
    I have jumped out of a perfectly good airplane. I organized it as a group adventure, hoping that group pressure would ensure the jump, and it did. I think of that often, and still can hardly believe I did it. That was definitely "going too far" for me, and it turned out to be one of the most terrifying and exhilarating events of my life. 
    Maybe do a check--is life too comfy?
        Leta

From an acrylics pouring class


No comments:

Post a Comment