Monday, July 5, 2021

July 5--Unexpected FUN

Pleasure is very seldom found where it is sought. Our brightest blazes are commonly kindled by unexpected sparks.  --Samuel Johnson

    Several sets of neighbors on our eight-house court gathered last evening for a cookout and "kiddie" fireworks. There was plenty of "oooo" and "aaahhh," and kids and adults got their annual safe play-with-fire fix. Everyone ate too much of a wonderful variety of food. We had fun visiting and getting to know each other better. The biggest joy came when the lone little boy said loudly, "Wanna see my really big one?!?!?!" Of course, he was referring to his fireworks stash, but all the adults got a big laugh out of that "unexpected spark." 
    I traveled to Scotland and Ireland a few years ago. Obviously I went to see the sights, enjoy the food and drink, and learn about the lands and cultures. The unexpected spark I remember so clearly was at a local pub. My traveling companion and I asked a couple if we could share their outdoor table, as those were the only seats left. What ensued was a delightful conversation with a young couple on holiday from England. Those are moments money can't buy or plan. 
    Think of a time when someone did something unexpected and especially nice for you. Isn't that fun!?!? When an event turned out even better than expected? When you were able to surprise and delight someone? You, too, can be an unexpected spark.
    I love surprises,
        Leta
Sweet snoozing Barney,
one of my "brightest blazes"

No comments:

Post a Comment