Friday, June 7, 2024

June 7--Clinging to an Achy Breaky Heart

The purpose of an intimate relationship is not that it be a place where we can hide from our weaknesses, but rather where we can safely let them go. 
--Marianne Williamson

    I offer my apologies to Billy Ray Cyrus who wrote the lyrics to "Achy Breaky Heart."
    Let's discuss this post's title. During a recent 12-step phone meeting, one participant used the word "clinging" to describe hanging onto a character defect. "Clinging" may as well be up in billboard-size letters, because it nails me perfectly. I've been clinging to the hope of some things happening which are clearly NOT going to happen, and I've been clinging to self-pity associated with that. 
    Now for the "achy breaky heart" part... I played pickleball a few days ago with a new-to-me person whom I shall falsely name Leroy. He and I ended up on the same bench later during a break, and he asked me how I got into pickleball. I told him I needed something to do with my time, I was curious, I gave it a try and I love it. Leroy said he has been playing about four months. He said, "I was sitting at home with an achy breaky heart, and someone told me to try pickleball, so I did." I sat there quietly for a moment and then said, "Me, too, I got into it because I had an achy breaky heart." Out of the mouths of strangers...
    Ready to release that achy breaky heart,
        Leta
Tuesday evening's rainbow

No comments:

Post a Comment