Sunday, June 16, 2024

June 16--HUGE Love in a TINY Package

We need, in love, to practice only this: letting each other go. For holding on comes easily; we do not need to learn it.  --Rainer Maria Rilke

    Dean Koontz is an extraordinary writer of mystery and suspense novels. However, the first book I read by him was "A Big Little Life" about his first dog, a Golden Retriever. 
    This is a "big little life" story. 
    I have been seeing the same massage therapist for, I'm guessing, probably two decades now. I have followed her through several moves. I see her once a month consistently. For much of the time, she has been accompanied by the adorable pup pictured below, Lily. Early on, Lily was at the office with her, and she would be in her crate making adorable squeaking noises. It was always a treat to snuggle all 1-2 pounds of her. To look at Lily, humans would say she was handicapped. She had a leg issue that made her gait awkward, but it was no handicap to Lily. She went wherever she wanted to. For a while, Lily's mom, Susan, left her at home. Then a couple years back she started bringing her to the office again. I would go a little early so that I could hold and snuggle Lily. For a tiny thing, she had quite a bark and a feisty personality! 
    Last Friday when I went for my massage, Lily wasn't there. Something told me to wait till we were finished to ask. That was a good intuition following. A few weeks prior to my visit, Susan was visiting her sister, and her sister's dog killed Lily. What a horrid, heart-breaking happening!!!! Tears flowed. 
    I am always in awe at the effect pets have on us. It is ineffable. It doesn't matter if they weigh 100 pounds or 1 pound. 
    Lily, I know you are romping in doggie heaven, but we miss you! Big hugs and love to Lily's mom as she grieves. 
    Love up your pets--they are mystical magical bundles of love!
        Leta

1 comment:

  1. Beautifully written, and what a beautiful tribute to Miss Lily as she certainly enjoyed her life and coming to the office as she treated it like a job and a joy. She would scratch my leg in the mornings getting ready for work for me to pick her up as she wanted to be brushed for the day, her way of getting ready for work too. She was always exited to see each and everyone come into the office as she eagerly welcomed all. She was an excellent assistant. Many loved her and many cried and are grieving with me. Thank you for this wonderful tribute to the tiniest biggest heart that will ever be in our hearts.

    ReplyDelete