Wednesday, June 12, 2024

June 12--In Spite Of...

The supreme happiness of life is the conviction that we are loved; loved for ourselves--say rather, loved in spite of ourselves.  --Victor Hugo

    One of my favorite activities when visiting my brother was to take him to AA meetings. I'm not an alcoholic, but I am a firm believer in the 12-Step programs and I love hearing stories of recovery. Recovering addicts, especially alcoholics, have some dreadful background stories. Yet they are loved, every single one, for who they are, in spite of whatever nastiness they have wreaked on themselves and others. That love of the 12-Step groups is a mighty force for hope, giving millions an opportunity to live a clean, whole and happy life.
    It is a relief to let go of earning love and simply accept it joyfully.
        Leta
Peacock sculpture at Botanica, Wichita

No comments:

Post a Comment