Tuesday, November 21, 2023

November 21--You Never Know

You gain strength, courage, and confidence by every experience in which you really stop to look fear in the face. You are able to say to yourself, "I have lived through this horror. I can take the next thing that comes along." ... You must do the thing you think you cannot do.  --Eleanor Roosevelt

    I must admit that I like life to be fairly predictable. It's a control thing, I know. My visits with my brother, however, are reminding me of how little I can control, and how it's best to simply "go with the flow." I visited him yesterday morning, and while he was chattering on, he was making very little sense. He was convinced that since his usual Monday meeting was merging with two others, it was not happening, so he was NOT going. OK. So I left, promising to visit later. I went back at 3:30 and he was climbing into bed, apparently for the night, with his sense of time quite confused. That was my clear signal to let him have this less-than-stellar day to rest. I see that the level of care for a challenged person has to target his/her "worst" days, not the best. Thus the memory care unit is the proper place for my brother, despite the label of "prison" that he has placed upon it.  
    Going with the Tuesday flow,
        Leta

Giant oak leaves, the few still hanging on...

No comments:

Post a Comment