Sunday, November 19, 2023

November 19--Moving Beyond Fear

So please ask yourself: What would I do if I weren't afraid? And then go do it. 
--Sheryl Sandberg

    This question many years ago led me and a group of five others to jump out of a perfectly good airplane. Our skydiving adventure was a huge success. 
    Fear... there is a giant group of politicians pushing more of this on us. This is not helpful and it is grossly unkind and manipulative. I am holding onto the facts that we humans are amazingly resilient and we are witnessing the "old energy" dying while "kicking and screaming." Alas, it can't die fast enough for me. 
    Fear... a week's worth of care home visits has me thinking that memory loss is contagious. I've thought of all the ways I could eventually do myself in so that I don't end up "in the home." I see my brother, a lifelong leader, with virtually no control over anything, which is totally frustrating for him. He is such a positive person, however, that he is making the best of it. 
    Fear... addiction in any form is a killing disease. My brother and I do agree on one thing: everyone is addicted to something. There is fear in recovery, plenty of it--it is hard work facing one's demons. But I also fear that untreated addiction will eventually ruin us and our magnificent Mother Earth. 
    I am currently in the process of answering Ms. Sandberg's question above. We shall see where it leads.
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment