Sunday, November 12, 2023

November 12--Arrived!

Sometimes the worst thing that happens to you, the thing you think you can't survive... it's the thing that makes you better than you used to be. 
--Jennifer Weiner

    I'm safely in northeast Ohio reunited with my niece. All things considered, it was an easy drive. 
    On my drive, I gave considerable thought to perfectionism. I was raised by the poster-child for perfectionism, so I have had very strong tendencies in that direction. Because of my own personal perfectionist "vibe," I have been fairly well surrounded by perfectionists my whole life. I have had great recovery in this area, but it still sometimes "rears its ugly head." 
    I've come to three conclusions given my experience with perfectionists. The first is that being perfect, it is totally unreasonable for anyone to criticize them. Second, given that they never do anything wrong, there is never a need to apologize for anything. Third, because of the need to keep up the perfect facade, they are extremely self-centered and lack interest in others. 
    I'm thinking that perfectionism is simply another form of addiction. 
        Leta

Threats of punishment or promises of candy later
create perpetual adolescents and well-disguised
narcissism at every level of Christianity.  --Richard Rohr

No comments:

Post a Comment