Tuesday, November 14, 2023

November 14--More Gentleness, Please

Nothing is so strong as gentleness, nothing so gentle as real strength. 
--St. Francis de Sales

    I am visiting my brother at his care home, and due mostly to recent falls, he has been placed in the locked-down memory care unit, labeled by my bro as "the prison." I love my brother. I would do most anything for him, even taking him to Walmart (for me that is true, true love). I cannot deny, however, that it is quite depressing to walk through the area to which he is confined. It's mostly older folks just sitting and staring. The staff is wonderful--they are magnificently gentle with these folks--and I understand that this is challenging work. I couldn't do it. Part of me wants to run away screaming, and part of me wants to move to a state that allows "death with dignity" so that I never have to be in a care home. This place makes a fairly quick death by cancer look like a sweet dream! 
    I am going to learn a lot over these next couple of weeks hanging with my brother, both about his situation and myself. Yesterday I took him to get his hearing aids fixed, followed by an ice cream lunch at our favorite local spot. He motored around very well with his walker. Today's mission is to take him for a new pair of sunglasses. Walmart may be in my future.
        Leta

Lavender, the horrid smell in 
most every care home

No comments:

Post a Comment