Wednesday, November 15, 2023

November 15--It's Bold to be Old!?!?

Develop the strength to do bold things, not the strength to suffer. 
--Niccolo Machiavelli

    Wow, what an education I am getting. I have made several visits to my brother's care home in the three full days I've been here so far. It looks to me like the folks there are suffering mightily, but are they? My brother calls it "the prison." He doesn't like all the rules. Being there makes me pray that I someday just drop dead of a heart attack. I am naming the fact that I am in denial about being an old person. All those folks gathered around the table with varying levels of engagement brings the age issue square in front of my face. I cling to the fact that I am in good shape and healthy for my age. I must continue to do bold things while I am able! 
    I am also amazed at the body/mind connection. My brother's short-term memory is more and more challenged, but his long-term memory is amazing. He talked to me for an hour and a half yesterday about his two tours of duty in Viet Nam as an Army Ranger. Yet he is challenged to remember to insert his hearing aids and to always use his walker. 
    This is a very good love and learning experience for me. 
        Leta
 

No comments:

Post a Comment