Tuesday, August 29, 2023

August 29--Doing Gets The Results

You do it because the doing of it is the thing. The doing is the thing. The talking and worrying and thinking is not the thing.  --Amy Poehler

    "Treat and move your feet." "Baby steps." "Do the footwork." All of these are encouragement for doing. Something happens when we do. Talking, worrying and thinking may be helpful but generally do not accomplish much. How often have we killed a good idea by worrying it to death? How many books have not been written because they are only talked about and no writing actually happens?
    In my decade-plus of MELT and yoga teaching, I have encountered quite a few folks who spend a lot of time "talking and worrying and thinking" about improving their health or relieving their chronic pain. They want the results without "the doing." They don't want to spend the money, or they want a doctor or similar to fix it for them. Alas, that ain't gonna happen. Results require doing.
    I thought about learning pickleball for many months before I actually bought a paddle and showed up for beginner time at the YMCA. I worried that I could play without hurting myself. Would I be so awful at it that no one would want to play with me? Then I just showed up and started on the drills and playing. And yes, "the doing is the thing." I've enjoyed playing more than I ever imagined. 
    What "doing" does today hold for you?
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment