Saturday, August 19, 2023

August 19--Encouragement Is the Key Ingredient

Instruction does much, but encouragement everything. 
--Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

    I think back on the years I was in school. One developed a "reputation" as he/she moved through the years. If you were smart, hard-working and well-behaved, you received plenty of encouragement. If you were not all those things, encouragement seemed in short supply. Tolerance was more the attitude in those instances. Fortunately I was one of the encouraged ones, all the way through grad school. 
    I look back on my many job experiences, and the better ones were those that included bountiful encouragement from my boss. I was smart enough to learn the "what" of my jobs, but it was the encouragement that made it a good place to be. Those jobs where encouragement was lacking are ones where I did not choose to stay for long. 
    Consider professional athletes... they have learned through years of instruction how to play their sport, but without the confidence that comes from encouragement, they don't make it past the minor leagues. 
    Encouragement is good for both the giver and the recipient.
        Leta

Giant flower pot in downtown Fort Collins,
encouraging appreciation of Mama Earth's beauty

No comments:

Post a Comment