Tuesday, September 21, 2021

September 21--Doing What I Can

I am only one, but still I am one. I cannot do everything, but still I can do something; and because I cannot do everything, I will not refuse to do something that I can do.  --Edward Everett Hale

    It is often noted that we don't know how a soothing word, a smile, or a kind gesture affects another person. Few of us are like Mother Theresa, ultimately achieving official sainthood. However, I've had quite a few "saints" in my life who have made my life considerably more wonderful than it would have been without their loving presence. They did not refuse to do what they could. 
    I do tax returns for a couple hundred people a year. Often I don't even meet them. I do what I can do so they don't have to do it. I teach Melt Method and yoga to about a dozen folks each week. Only a dozen? It matters to them, and I love to do it. Our dog Barney is a rescue. We can't rescue every dog, but it surely matters to Barney that we chose him. I don't have to write this blog, but again, it's something I can do, and I enjoy it. You get the picture--doing what we can do, what we love to do, is a great service, even if we are not vying for sainthood. It need not be a strain to let our love flow. 
    Leta


No comments:

Post a Comment