Thursday, September 2, 2021

September 2--Perplexity

Perplexity is the beginning of knowledge.  --Kahlil Gibran

    I don't know that I've ever seen the noun "perplexity." I think I've only ever seen and used the adjective "perplexed." I love new-to-me words.     
    Wonderment. Curiosity. Confusion. Perplexity. The feeling of now knowing, not being certain, wanting to figure things out--that keeps us humans going. What a world we have to inspire the desire to know! Life is full of mystery. We need look no further than our human bodies to find infinite perplexity and many lifetimes' worth of investigation. 
    I must say that I am not always comfortable with perplexity. I enjoy feeling like I have the answers and I'm in control. The pandemic has given us a huge dose of perplexity and a huge dose of knowledge. Personal confusion and uncertainty has led me to many great and fun things in life. I know that Gibran's statement is true. The key is to keep the faith through perplexity until the knowledge comes. That requires openness, patience, and self-trust. 
    Last night I stayed with a friend who lives way out on the open prairie. This city-dweller saw the stars in all their heavenly glory. I even saw a shooting star. Talk about perplexity--a whole universe of it!
    Staying curious,
        Leta
Astronomy Picture of the Day,
The Andromeda Galaxy
July 18, 2021


No comments:

Post a Comment