Friday, July 31, 2020

July 31--Hope Sustains Us

The very least you can do in your life is figure out what you hope for. And the most you can do is live inside that hope. Not admire it from a distance, but live right in it, under its roof.  --Barbara Kingsolver

     I would have to say that most of the things I have hoped for in my life have been fulfilled. I am very fortunate indeed. Just the tiniest bit of hope has pulled me through some rough times. When I "hit bottom" on my addiction, a thread of hope led me to a 12-step program, where I have lived gratefully "under the roof" of recovery for decades.
     Being the only daughter born later in my parents' lives, I will say that I am spoiled. Unlike a lot of folks, I consider "spoiled" to be a compliment. Looking back, being indulged did give me the enduring hope that if I wanted something, I could have it. I don't remember a lot of "admiring from a distance," i.e. that others could hope for such-and-such, but not me. If I set my mind to it, I generally accomplished it, "living under the roof of hope." Examples are an MBA degree, a variety of jobs I enjoyed, marriage and raising two sons, yoga teacher training, and teaching and coaching in assorted ways. 
     I wear a lot of "Life is Good" brand clothes. Living that sentiment is, for me, living under the roof of hope. 
     This is the last of July and the topic of "mindfulness." The theme for August's quotes is "perspective." 
     See you tomorrow,
           Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment