Sunday, July 5, 2020

July 5--Sunflower

Please notice when you are happy--and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, "If this isn't nice, I don't know what is." --Kurt Vonnegut

     Today's photo in "Daily Peace" is a close-up of a sunflower, which reminds me how much I love my home in Kansas, the Sunflower State. A field of blooming sunflowers is one of the most magnificent sights you may ever see.
     The operative word in Vonnegut's quote is "notice." That's the whole point of July's theme of mindfulness. We tend to move too quickly through life on autopilot, anxious to check off another item on the to-do list.
     Yesterday being the 4th of July, we went on a drive after dark in search of fireworks. We were surrounded. I do love fireworks, and the in-the-moment nature of them. Each "ooooo" or "ahhhh" lasts only a couple of seconds. Color and light make me quite happy, so fireworks are a treat.
     I am happy most of the time, and it is quite nice. I'm grateful for my happiness. It's been a long inner journey to reach this place of happiness. I would make no changes in that. I'm thankful that I took it to heart long ago that happiness is an "inside job," not something we acquire from outside ourselves. That gave me the power to turn my life toward a much more pleasant trajectory.
     Please notice sometime today how nice a moment of happiness is.
     Smiling for no reason,
          Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment