Wednesday, July 8, 2020

July 8--Go for It

Try to learn to breathe deeply, really to taste food when you eat, and when you sleep to really sleep. When you laugh, laugh like hell. And when you get angry, get good and angry. Try to be alive.  --William Saroyan

     This quote says, to me, to full-out be yourself. One of the many things Ana Forrest brought to our attention in yoga teacher training was the societal pervasiveness of "women should be seen and not heard." So many of the young women were afraid to use their voices, to be fully present as their authentic selves. I, on the other hand, with two or three decades of age on them, was labeled by one fellow student as "bossy like my mom." Trust me, Forrest Yoga teacher training brings out "alive" in myriad ways.
     The pandemic has forced us to re-evaluate what "alive" means to us. For me, it has been a very deepening appreciation of the "typical day." I am breathing deeply as I teach Melt Method and yoga twice a week via Zoom, and in daily meditations. I am thoroughly enjoying my husband's excellent cooking, as we rarely eat out anymore. We laugh a lot, especially at our "so cute" dog, Barney. Sleep varies night to night at our age, and a good night's sleep is priceless. I do enjoy some self-righteous anger now and then, but I must say that serenity feels more alive to me than anger.
     Alive and appreciating this day,
          Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment