Friday, July 10, 2020

July 10--Using Words with Care

Words are timeless. You should utter them or write them with a knowledge of their timelessness.  --Khalil Gibran

     Words can wound and words can heal. While I'd like to think that we remember loving, comforting, soothing words just as long as wounding ones, I doubt that's the case very often. Wounding words seem to stick within us, uncomfortably showing us their timelessness. I remember much more the times my parents lashed out at me rather than their offerings of praise or appreciation.
     Words, for me, are a way I express who I am. While I can't say that I LOVE to write, it's a part of my spiritual practice that keeps me connected to Spirit. I feel compelled to write. I also like that writing can be a legacy for me. Having written and published two books, I have something timeless of myself to leave my sons, should they someday be interested.
     My mother-in-law, Shirley, is astounding in her ability to use words effectively. She is hilarious, and she can accomplish great things with her very talented selection of words. She can politely rip you to shreds and leave you asking for more. Her sons and their families refer to the practice as "using our inner-Shirley" when we have to use words carefully and effectively in a challenging situation.
     How about we strive to keep our "timeless words" on the uplifting, positive end of the spectrum? I'm in.
     Breathe joyfully!
           Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment