Friday, July 24, 2020

July 24--Living Awareness

The aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware--joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware. --Henry Miller

     With my adorable dog, Barney, lying serenely next to me, I think of the lofty goal of being aware as he is aware. He's always alert while in the house for any outside activity of which we should be notified. When we are out on a walk, he misses very little. Cats and rabbits are particular attention-grabbers. Other dogs cause him to lie down peacefully and await their approach. It seems to me that nearly every single blade of grass and mailbox post is worthy of intense sniffing. Barney has learned the signs of an impending walk--my putting on shoes, rounding up the leash--so he is always alert for those signs. I consider all that "joyously, drunkenly, serenely, divinely aware."
     Oh, to be as tuned-in and aware in each moment as my dog! Even though I love my life, I know I take so much for granted. It's easy in this pandemic to just want to make it through another day, same old, same old, missing the joys of life. I'd say for myself that "divinely" is the key in the quote above. As long as I maintain my spiritual connection to that which is bigger than me, my awareness remains high and I experience great joy in living.
     Speaking of living... the strangest ever major league baseball season began yesterday on July 23. The first Cubs game is tonight, and I'm in heaven. I've watched a couple of exhibition games, and it is exceedingly strange to watch baseball broadcast from a stadium with no fans. We are certainly learning to live in different ways. Our awareness expands and that gives us more options.
     Go, CUBS!!!
          Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment