Monday, July 20, 2020

July 20--Stop and Wonder

If we could see the miracle of a single flower clearly, our whole life would change. 
--Buddha

     As a lover of gardening and life-long visitor to botanical gardens, I appreciate the nearly infinite variety of flowers on planet Earth, even marigolds, which smell nasty and are orange, my least-favorite color. There is an awe-inspiring ("our whole life would change") episode of "Moving Art" on Netflix that is devoted to flowers. Time-lapse photography enables you to see them go from bud to full flower. It is a beautiful film.
     I am sincerely hoping that the kinder energy awakening on our planet will bring with it an appreciation of the miracle that our Earth is, along with each plant, animal and human on it. With that appreciation, I hope comes a powerful desire to care more lovingly for our home. This is wisdom the indigenous peoples have practiced for centuries. 
     Sometimes when I have trouble sleeping, I'll go through the alphabet naming a flower for each letter. It's not hard for me to do that, and it leaves me with a feeling of joy and gratitude. I playfully picture Spirit for eons having started each new day with the question, "What amazing flower shall I create today?" From the common dandelion to the most exotic orchid, every single one is a miracle.
     Deep appreciation changes us for the better,
           Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment