Saturday, July 25, 2020

July 25--Thinking Makes It So

All that we are is the result of what we have thought.  --Buddha

     James Allen, in his 1903 book, put it this way, "As a man thinketh, so is he." Jesus indicated that it is done unto us as we believe. I remember very distinctly when this principle was brought home to my heart. I was sitting in a church service led by my beloved former boss and minister, Rev. John Martin. I had pretty much been of the mindset of "I'll believe it when I see it." Give me the proof, then I'll believe.
     Rev. John was able to get through to me that no, first you believe (think it), then the results show up. WOW. Turn my world around. That led to an in-depth study of Science of Mind principles, becoming a practitioner (spiritual coach), and a vastly expanded, even better life. I can sum it up in the word "empowerment." We all have control over our thoughts (whether or not we believe it or consciously use it), so we all have the power to create our lives.
     My mother-in-law, Shirley, in response to someone praising the sons she raised, would say, "I don't want to take credit for how great they are, because I wouldn't want to be blamed if they were awful." If our thoughts have created a life we love, we are happy to take credit. But if something about life is not to our liking, we have a strong tendency to blame it on God, bad luck, karma, etc. Alas, when we do that, we give up our power.
     I immersed myself in the study of this very basic principle identified in Buddha's quote at the time when my sons were teenagers and still living at home. I remember talking about it to them and getting the looks of "Mom's out in left field again," complete with eye rolls. Several years later, my older son said to me, "Mom, it's so cool... I just think something, and it happens." Really? Amazing! Yes, indeed, we do rub off on our kids some way, some how.
     Keeping my thoughts on the upswing,
           Leta
 

No comments:

Post a Comment