Sunday, July 12, 2020

July 12--Where'd It Go?

Happiness rarely is absent; it is we that know not of its presence. 
--Maurice Maeterlinck

     Wise Abe Lincoln is credited with the quote, "Most folks are as happy as they make up their minds to be." So happiness is a choice. Occasionally we forget that and think outer circumstances control where we are landing on the happy scale. Happiness is an inside job, so it is never absent. Alas, sometimes we forget where we put it.
     Several friends and I have a long-standing joke regarding happiness. One asked another, "Are you happy?" and the response was, "Well, I'm not skippy happy." I'd offer that there are degrees of happiness, from gentle contentment to ecstatic (skippy) happy. It's one of the joys of being human to experience the full spectrum of happiness. 
     I've been feeling some general angst lately. I work long hours during tax season to support my travel habit the rest of the year. All the travel plans I had have been cancelled. While I consider myself a "home body," I can only take so much "home" before I get a bit bonkers. I'm reminding myself that despite occasional angst, I am happy. That's the "bottom line" that matters most to me right now. 
     Doing the next right thing,
          Leta
 

No comments:

Post a Comment