Sunday, July 26, 2020

July 26--This Is It

The true way to live is to enjoy every moment as it passes--and surely it is in the everyday things around us that the beauty of life lies.  --Laura Ingalls Wilder

     I could certainly say that this has been the great lesson of these pandemic months. With the many ways of distracting and entertaining ourselves stripped away, we've had to learn to be content with much less activity. Hopefully, this has enabled us to "wake up," pay attention to our lives, and see beauty in everyday things.
     Sometimes my thoughts get into "when this is over" mode. In truth, I don't know if I'll be alive "when this is over." This is it. This is my life, and it's my joyful task to appreciate it as it is right now. Yes, someday I may get to travel again, and eat out in a restaurant. I've learned that I can live without travel and dining out. It's important to see this time as an opportunity not just to survive, but to thrive. Just like any time in life, we get out what we put into it.
     Having been denied the opportunity to swim at the YMCA for almost three months, I no longer take that exercise for granted. I love every moment in the water. I'm enjoying painting, gardening, and golfing more than ever. I've had a lot of time for online learning. Our dog, Barney, is the angelic epitome of "the beauty of life." He brings us loads of delight and laughter. I don't know what we'd do without him. Everyday life, everyday beauty, everyday contentment--that's living.
     Thriving,
           Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment