Monday, June 26, 2023

June 26--Does It Matter?

All that happens means something; nothing you do is ever insignificant. 
--Aldous Huxley

    That's one perspective. Another is that each of us is not even the size of a pinpoint in this giant universe. I think it's likely that we all go through periods of feeling life is infinitely meaningful and other periods of feeling "what's the point?" 
    One of the things that my exploration of anxiety and depression has brought up is the feeling that I am not needed. In my heart, I know this is not true, but my head can lead me there. That's part of my shadow self. I offer these words from Richard Rohr about that:

I am afraid that the closer we get to the Light, the more of our shadow we see. Thus, truly holy people are always humble people. Invariably when something upsets us, and we have a strong emotional reaction out of proportion to the moment, our shadow self has just been exposed. So, watch for any overreactions or over denials. The reason that a mature or saintly person can be so peaceful, so accepting of self and others, is that there is not much left of the hidden shadow self. 

    I know that I have a lot of "out of proportion" reactions, and my shadow self is alive and kicking. I take too much too personally. 

    Progress, not perfection,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment