Thursday, March 9, 2023

March 9--You Are Not Alone

The typical expression of opening Friendship would be something like, "What! You too? I thought I was the only one."  --C. S. Lewis

    It is extremely common for folks new to a 12-Step program to say, "I thought I was the only one who did ________." That was the case with me when in 1987 a friend started talking with me about his eating behaviors and how he was going to check into a 12-Step group. I was stunned to hear another human talk about feelings and actions similar to those I had with food. Learning I was not alone has led to a lifelong recovery with friendships that are truly priceless to me. 
    I believe one of the benefits of the internet is that it is bringing folks together with similar issues. One can find kindred spirits and support for most any difficulty, disease or trauma. Feeling alone sustains unhealthy behaviors; reaching out gives one hope and the opportunity for new friendships.
    One day at a time,
        Leta

Another magnificent KS sunset,
photo taken near Clearwater

No comments:

Post a Comment