Saturday, January 28, 2023

January 28--Curiosity

Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. 
--Stephen Hawking

    I saw in the news line at the bottom of the TV screen that some football player had been arrested for "misdemeanor domestic violence." Life experience has made me aware of all manner of abuse, and the idea that some of it is minor, not that bad, only a misdemeanor, is ridiculous and baffling to me. 
    I'm learning here... the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives defines it:

A “misdemeanor crime of domestic violence” is an offense that:
  1. Is a misdemeanor under federal, state, or tribal law;
  2. Has, as an element, the use or attempted use of physical force, or the threatened use of a deadly weapon; and
  3. Goes on to define "domestic"
Here's what I found relative to Kansas: 
Kansas Statutes § 21-5414 defines domestic battery as a violent offense where bodily harm is inflicted upon a domestic partner which is a class B misdemeanor with up to 6 months in jail &/or up to $500 in fines.
    I seems to me that someone who wants to terrorize and hammer on another in the home doesn't have much to worry about legally. Disgusting!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment