Monday, October 31, 2022

October 31--One Weed, Mostly Flowers

A weed is no more than a flower in disguise.  --James Russell Lowell

    As a lifelong gardener, I am at least slightly challenged by that one! But I get it. It all depends on how you look at things. 
    Yesterday's drive through "my old stomping grounds"... Big Valley is beautiful--mountains on both sides, perfectly-maintained farms, old houses and lovely gardens. I drove to Alan Seeger Natural Area and trekked the "Alan Seeger Loop." This is the equivalent of "died and gone to heaven" for me. I was tickled at the end to find this new sign: 


Now we know!
    Then it was moving on to check out, for sure, whether or not the home I grew up in was still there. On the second pass by, I stopped and knocked on the door of a completely different house on the property, hoping the new owners might know what happened to my childhood home. No answer. But at least now I know for sure that a huge landmark of my life is gone. 
    I met up with my BFF from middle school, and we had a great time catching up over lunch in State College. Then it was off to Ohio to visit my brother, niece and family. Lots more driving, lots more joy!
    Happy Halloween!
        Leta

At Alan Seeger



No comments:

Post a Comment