Sunday, October 2, 2022

October 2--Normal Day

Normal day, let me be aware of the treasure you are.  --Mary Jean Irion

    This is HUGE for me now, being in Ohio with my brother's family for my s-i-l's memorial service. 
    Yesterday's "normal" day included taking my brother to a 12-Step meeting. Since it was an open meeting, I stayed, and it was excellent. There is nothing quite like a recovery story to make one grateful. Talk about perspective! My brother's good friends at the meeting were lined up to offer condolences. 
    I hung out with my brother at his house after the meeting. Family friends brought over enough food to feed a small army, so I organized the fridge and fixed lunch and did dishes. Being Saturday, college football was on TV. Knowing this would put my brother into nap mode, I headed back to my niece's house for a nap. My niece and I went out for a long walk on the trail near her house, a much-needed movement, outside, in-the-woods, fresh air time. We enjoyed a simple salad supper and a movie. 
    It was a "normal day." It was, for me, an emotional roller coaster. I have become during this visit much more informed relative to my brother's health issues. Right at this moment, I am more aggrieved about his condition than I am over Sue's passing. It's all grief. And it brings up my own fears of aging and poor health. 
    More family members continue to arrive in the area--today we gather to watch the Cleveland Browns game and eat a lot of food!
    Appreciating the treasure of this day, 
       Leta

Barney demonstrates that any "normal day"
includes a nap.

No comments:

Post a Comment