Saturday, January 15, 2022

January 15--Beauty Is Enough

At some point in life the world's beauty becomes enough. You don't need to photograph, paint, or even remember it. It is enough.  --Toni Morrison 

    I'm the one in the family that takes photos. There are typically no Christmas-time photos of me because I'm the only one taking pictures, and I have no need for selfies. Likewise, when traveling, I'm the picture-taker. Given today's quote, I do recognize in myself less and less need to photograph my travel experiences, to simply observe the beauty and enjoy it without seeing it through my cell phone camera. I've been many places where the camera cannot do it justice--the beauty is too far-reaching and spectacular. 
    I am a big fan of art museums. I am in awe of the creative talent of humans through the centuries. I've been to museums in Chicago, Boston, Baltimore, San Diego, NYC, Dublin, Rome, Paris, Florence and others. Being in the presence of fine art is a profound experience, and yes, it is enough. It feels so good to stand in a space of awe and wonder, simply appreciating. Art inspires in me faith in the resilience of humanity. 
    Nature's beauty is infinite and everywhere. Even on the familiar route of daily walks with Barney, there is always something lovely to note as we stroll along--trees budding, flowers blooming, snow melting (much needed moisture is beautiful), a mighty weed poking through the sidewalk crack. Noted but not remembered, onward we go. 
    Yes, beauty is enough,
        Leta

David, by Michelangelo, Florence, Italy--
Far and away the most spectacular artwork
I have ever experienced!


No comments:

Post a Comment