Saturday, July 29, 2023

July 29--We All Have Time to Be Kind

If it is right, it happens--
The main thing is not to hurry.
Nothing good gets away. 
--John Steinbeck

    Yesterday started with another trek to the Aquatic Center for a lap swim. I swam four times on this trip, an extra bonus. Five of the ladies played golf; two of us stayed behind and had quite an interesting experience in the Safeway parking lot. It was packed. I pulled the large vehicle into a tight (but not impossible) space, and my passenger was very careful with the next vehicle when she opened her door. Before she could get out, the owner of the pickup beside her was standing at the back corner of his vehicle, and he freaked, yelling, calling us nasty names, screaming about his pickup. I was out by then, saw him, and said I would move our vehicle (rather than possibly being shot by an asshole). He stood there behind his pickup, still yelling, making it even harder for me to get out of the space. I finally got around him and moved to another spot. 
    This incident really troubled me. First, it seems that it is perfectly acceptable to be a rude obnoxious asshole to complete strangers. (I believe this is part of Donald Trump's legacy.) Second, I could have just as easily been an asshole back at the guy. I don't like that in myself, and fortunately, wiser action won out. Third, the man could have simply asked us politely to move, and none of this angst would have happened. 
    We did our shopping and returned to home base with no further incident. We enjoyed a lazy afternoon that included prep of a sloppy joe and salad supper. We had brownies and ice cream for dessert. The golfers had a decent day temperature-wise for their last round on this trip. 
    Let us all work a little harder at kindness today,
        Leta

Our beautiful Mother

No comments:

Post a Comment