Thursday, February 16, 2023

February 16--Siblings--Love Them? Maybe, Maybe Not.

A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self.  --Marian Sandmaier

    I expect this is quite true if siblings are somewhat close in age. I picture that this quote applies to our two sons who are just over two years apart in age. I, however, was born when my brothers were 16 and 14 years old. For me it was more like having two sets of parents, because one brother was like my dad and one was like my mom. One brother (older, Arlie) adored me, and the other (younger, Ken) despised me from day one. Those early sentiments have continued throughout our lifetimes. Arlie left home when I was two, and he and his family lived far away, yet he and I developed a very close relationship. I was around Ken a lot as he worked with Dad and his family lived nearby. He never really got a clue as to who I am because his only interest was to put me down. He has proven to be my greatest teacher in life, but I must say that I would not care to repeat the life experience I had with him. I hope I've learned all my lessons!
    My nieces and nephews are more like siblings to me, and I love them all!
        Leta

Nephew and brother Arlie

No comments:

Post a Comment