Friday, February 10, 2023

February 10--My Dad

What is a family, after all, except memories?--haphazard and precious as the contents of a catchall drawer in the kitchen.  --Joyce Carol Oates

    We have a couple (several!?!?) catchall drawers in our kitchen/dining area, and I'd say my family is a lot more precious than those contents!
    The thought of memories this morning leads me to my dad. Even though he passed in 2000, I still miss him every day. He spent countless hours teaching me to swim at Whipple Dam State Park in central Pennsylvania. The family business was a sawmill across the road and through the woods from our house. Dad walked to work on a well-worn path, and used it each day to come home for Campbell's soup for lunch. I walked that path many a time. To this day, the smell of sawdust brings tears to my eyes because that was how my dad smelled. My dad drove the truck delivering lumber orders, and when I wasn't in school, I was in the lumber truck with him. Somehow after each delivery we ended up at a favorite ice cream stand. 😉😉 My dad taught me finances and generosity. He tried to teach me tennis (he was an excellent athlete in his youth), but I wasn't very good at that. Once I reached the "doing chores" age, after supper it was me washing the dishes and Dad drying them. We spent many hours at the kitchen sink together. He taught me all I know about football. I remember watching the first few Super Bowls with him. Though my mom was a dedicated church-goer, my dad never went--another way I have become like him 😏 It was devastating to see him slip into stroke-induced dementia. His last amazing act was to transition on the same day Mom did, September 24, 21 years after her. 
    Very precious memories!
        Leta

My photo

Photo from the park's website...
yes, it's that beautiful!!

No comments:

Post a Comment