Tuesday, December 27, 2022

December 27--Enough?

There are two ways to get enough: One is to continue to accumulate more and more. The other is to desire less.  --G. K. Chesterton

    This is the working-life, retirement sort of scheme that I see playing out with our house and many friends. We work a large chunk of life to accumulate enough to support our families and create a thriving life. At some point all that accumulation becomes a burden (for us or our offspring), and we begin to desire less. I vastly prefer experiences over stuff. I'm very limited in what I will allow myself to bring home. Desiring less is very freeing, and I have never not had plenty of "enough." 
    I wonder sometimes about the billionaires in the news, so often categorized as greedy. How many billions are "enough?" This is a valid question as in our society, the rich get richer... and the middle class continues to diminish. The very wealthy and the very poor have no concept of how the other lives. "Enough" is defined very differently by those two groups. 
    What is your "enough"?
        Leta

Is beauty enough?
From the CSU Gardens, July 2022

No comments:

Post a Comment