Monday, July 4, 2022

July 4--Gratitude and Freedom

There is a time for departure--even when there's no certain place to go. 
--Tennessee Williams

    Today on Independence Day, I am grateful for freedom, and hope that we can retain the freedoms that so many have fought for. I offer these words of Henri Nouwen:
Gratitude...goes beyond the “mine” and “thine” and claims the truth that all of life is a pure gift. In the past I always thought of gratitude as a spontaneous response to the awareness of gifts received, but now I realize that gratitude can also be lived as a discipline. The discipline of gratitude is the explicit effort to acknowledge that all I am and have is given to me as a gift of love, a gift to be celebrated with joy.

Gratitude as a discipline involves a conscious choice. I can choose to be grateful even when my emotions and feelings are still steeped in hurt and resentment. It is amazing how many occasions present themselves in which I can choose gratitude instead of a complaint... The choice for gratitude rarely comes without some real effort. But each time I make it, the next choice is a little easier, a little freer, a little less self-conscious... There is an Estonian proverb that says: “Who does not thank for little will not thank for much.” Acts of gratitude make one grateful because, step by step, they reveal that all is grace.
    Celebrating freedom,
        Leta



No comments:

Post a Comment