Wednesday, October 6, 2021

October 6--Don't Settle

Your work is going to fill a large part of your life, and the only way to be truly satisfied is to do what you believe is great work. And the only way to do great work is to love what you do. If you haven't found it yet, keep looking. Don't settle. As with all matters of the heart, you'll know when you find it.  --Steve Jobs

    I think Mr. Jobs spelled it out quite well. The Life Is Good Company, my clothing favorite, puts a tag on each shirt that says, "Do What You Love, Love What You Do." In my lifetime, I'm seeing the transition from a person spending an entire career in one company, often doing an unsatisfying but relatively secure job, to having the freedom to explore options and potentially have many different jobs. There's less settling. I believe that's a good thing for our mass consciousness overall--less settling for racism, homophobia, war, violence, greed, misogyny, low wages and so on. 
    The words "Don't settle" are really screaming at me from this quote. As I have become ever more aware of my codependency, I recognize times when I'm settling, or feel pushed in that direction, to keep others comfortable. Here's an example. We are in the process of investigating a vehicle to replace my car. Since my husband is the supreme car researcher, this process takes years, literally, especially with the new electric and hybrid options to consider. Mainly I want a bright color, "no black, white, beige, gray, or brown." (You can tell this is a chant with me.) Recently my husband went on about the low supply of vehicles to purchase, and if I want one, it will have to be one of the "no" colors. Given that this could be my last vehicle (we keep them a long time), I can wait for a red or blue one. I don't want to settle for a dull color. Check it out--boring colored vehicles abound. There you have it, my vehicle rant. 
    I'm off to teach Melt and yoga, my "great work" that I love!
        Leta

Life is Good tag


No comments:

Post a Comment