Sunday, October 10, 2021

October 10--Fun in the Here and Now

If only we'd stop trying to be happy we'd have a pretty good time.  --Edith Wharton

    "Am I doing it right?" This question, whether stated or implied, drives me nuts as a yoga teacher. Especially with beginners, there is considerably more concern about doing it "right" and looking like everyone else than there is about experiencing what the pose feels like in one's body. Likewise, as Ms. Wharton suggests, we work too hard at acquiring and maintaining the trappings of "happy" and miss all the fun. "I'll be happy when __________" surely is a joy-killer. So is perfectionism, codependency and "keeping up with the Joneses." All these may seem to be routes to happiness, but they are constantly moving targets, the pursuit of which overshadows the "pretty good time" available in the present moment. 
    I have my coffee and my doggie and a relaxed Sunday ahead of me--looks like a pretty good time!
        Leta

Barney has a pretty good time with a lawn sprinkler.

No comments:

Post a Comment