Sunday, October 24, 2021

October 24--Doing Too Much?

In order that people may be happy in their work, these three things are needed: They must be fit for it. They must not do too much of it. And they must have a sense of success in it.  --John Ruskin

    This morning I am driving the honeymooners to the Denver Airport to fly off to their beach vacation. Then I get to enjoy their home and dog Dusty for the week. I am fit for my dog- and house-sitting duties; it is just for a few days; and I feel fairly confident that I will be successful at it. So yes, I plan to be happy in my work all week!
    I have a perfect example of Ruskin's quote. My son works at FedEx Express. He is fit for it (they love him). He is successful at it (on-time delivery is their thing--he does it every day). But alas, he is doing too much of it. The overtime is the happiness killer in this situation. Here is another example. I used to teach yoga in two separate locations, four classes a week. I was not happy with it over time, because it was too much for me, in that I did not want to be tied to four time slots a week. So I gave up the second location and two classes, and I am much happier with my schedule. 
    Ruskin knew what he was talking about!
        Leta

1 comment: