Friday, October 22, 2021

October 22--Work Worth Doing

Far and away the best prize that life has to offer is the chance to work hard at work worth doing.  --Theodore Roosevelt

    As I look at my life, I feel the "work worth doing" I am most happy with is creating a home, having a good marriage, and raising two fine sons. Absolutely that is "far and away the best prize." You can't put a monetary price on that. I have also done "work worth doing" for which I have been paid. I was fortunate enough to have one job wherein I could hardly wait to get to work in the morning--I loved it that much, working with a tight group of people I dearly loved. Now my schedule is lighter and more flexible, but I'm still doing "work worth doing."
    Our older son works at FedEx Express, and he was marveling at co-workers in their seventies who are still working. Given their long employment there and the great benefits, he says they have to be millionaires. Why keep on working? I suggested that it is important, at any stage in life, but especially as we age, to feel useful. I don't want to be just taking up space. 
    Update on the wedding adventure: The fall colors are spectacular right now. The venue is beautiful with trees, pasture, creek, mountains. The rehearsal was simple and easy, and the set-up was handled beautifully by the Brennan women and friends. The rehearsal dinner was a delight, with family and friends enjoying a delicious meal at the Star of India. So much joy!!!
    Leta

Dried flower centerpieces made 
by the bride and friends

Site of the ceremony


No comments:

Post a Comment