Saturday, October 30, 2021

October 30--Comparison--Not a Good Practice

Human happiness and human satisfaction must ultimately come from within oneself.  --Dalai Lama

    I think we have this idea well covered from the writings this month. 
    I feel led to write about the 5 Love Languages (see book of that title by Gary Chapman). They are gifts, time spent together, words, physical touch and acts of service. Specifically I'm considering acts of service. This comes up because yesterday a semi pulled up in front of my son's house with a very expensive, large and heavy wedding gift delivery from the bride's side of the family. My husband and I paid for the rehearsal dinner, but otherwise did not buy an actual wedding gift for the couple. Instead, we did acts of service: 1) We took care of their dog at our VRBO house during the wedding and post-wedding party. 2) I stayed at their house to dog-sit while the couple went on their honeymoon. 3) I provided the "shuttle service" to and from the airport for their trip. 4) I cleaned their house, not because it needed it so much, but because it is so nice to come home to a clean house. 5) I packaged and sent off their Warther** knives to be sharpened, desperately needed. 
    Why bother writing all of this? I mentioned last night to my other son that it is challenging for me not to compare our acts of service to an expensive gift (delivered by semi, no less!). I know that such comparison gets me into trouble every time. It is not a good path to tread. I must consider it simply a difference in love language, both of equal value. 
    Grateful for the reminder that comparison does not lead to happiness,
        Leta

** Warther Cutlery--finest knives on the planet, they sharpen them for free forever, check them out.

Dusty, my sweet bud for the week

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for everything Momma-bear! We couldn't have done it without all your help!

    ReplyDelete