Monday, October 5, 2020

October 5--Be Still and Know

All of humanity's problems stem from man's inability to sit quietly in a room alone.  --Blaise Pascal

    What does it take to sit quietly in a room alone? The first thing that comes to mind for me is that one has to like oneself. I think that there are many, many folks who do not like themselves, and that internal dislike is reflected in outward experience. I think the current upheaval we are experiencing is a projection of great internal dissatisfaction with ourselves. As an introvert, I LOVE being by myself. It's been a several-decades journey for me to reach the point of enjoying time with myself alone. 
    Next, one has to be comfortable with silence. It is a difficult thing to come by these days. We are bombarded with noise--the general noises of life, music, TV, cell phone notifications and so on. I prefer quiet. I rarely listen to music. There's plenty of chatter in my own head to keep me occupied. 
    Then one has to be able to simply sit and do nothing. As I've seen with my folks attempting the stillness of savasana at the end of a yoga practice, it is a great challenge to be still and not move. The energy of daily life and its stresses seem to result in endless fidgeting. There is the pressure to be doing something, to be productive, to not waste time. 
    Yes, I can see where a lot of humanity's problems would fade away if we were all better at sitting quietly in a room alone. 
    Enjoying the quiet with myself,
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment