Friday, October 30, 2020

October 30--Longing for Belonging

The greatest thing in the world is to know how to belong to oneself. 
--Michel de Montaigne

    Be yourself; everyone else is already taken (Oscar Wilde). Comfortable in your own skin. Enjoying your own company. These are other ways of stating today's quote. Belonging is a basic human need. We all need to feel that we fit in somewhere. One of the greatest challenges of growing up is finding where an individual's "puzzle piece" fits into the big puzzle of life. Being able to "belong to oneself" creates a permanent bond wherein one can always feel that sense of fitting in no matter what the outside circumstances of life may be. That makes for a rock-solid inner peace that truly is "the greatest thing in the world."
    Leta



P.S. An update post-surgery: Just over two weeks out from surgery, and I am ecstatic with my progress. I am walking without a cane. I have kept up my Melt practice daily and I can do yoga. The surgeon, besides replacing the joint, leveled out my life-long leg-length discrepancy and balanced my hips, so my muscles are adapting to what feels like a brand new body. Miscellaneous aches that I used to have, such as neck/shoulder, are gone. My incision has healed nicely. I get the bandage off Tuesday and then I can return to lap swimming--I can hardly wait. Despite my trepidation heading into the surgery, I am now so glad I went for it. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment