Friday, September 6, 2024

September 6--Is Pain Useful?

Be patient and tough; someday this pain will be useful to you.  --Ovid

    Being human, I would prefer to avoid pain. Times in life accompanied by great pain generally don't seem useful in the moment. Alas, humans, including me, tend to change only when the pain reaches a certain level. As I ponder this quote, I can see where pain has been extremely useful to me. 
    Back in 1996, I had a bout of horrid back pain. Instead of having surgery, I elected bed-rest for nearly six weeks, and it did heal. That was no small challenge for a working husband and two young children. Patience was the primary "medicine." That pain was very useful--I vowed to get in shape and stay in shape so that it would not happen again. I have kept that promise to myself. 
    Pain on every level led me into 12-Step recovery. The pain of losing loved ones has led me to understanding and compassion relative to grief. The verbal abuse I experienced growing up was the major instigator of my spiritual journey. 
    I'm not ready to say "bring it on!" to pain, but yes, it has been a useful messenger.
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment