Tuesday, September 3, 2024

September 3--Settling?

It's a funny thing about life. If you refuse to settle for anything less than the best, that's what it will give you.  --W. Somerset Maugham

    It's a funny thing about life--the idea of settling came to me last week as something I might consider. I even did some journaling about it. I think the practice of settling is different for each individual. Here's one example, for a very wealthy person: "I want my own castle, but I'll settle for a mansion." 
    I'm more in the range of "I want diamonds, but I'll settle for cubic zirconia." I also have within me a drive to and for simplicity--less stuff and fewer complications in life. I'm not sure how simplicity and settling get intertwined. There are some circumstances in my life that are not ideal, over which I have little or no control. Therefore I simply have to settle into those, accept (even though I don't care for them), and move on with life. 
    Gratitude seems to be a good antidote for settling. Most of the time I can stay focused on my in-hand blessings rather than my unmet fantasies. 
    There's more to ponder here, I see. 
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment