Tuesday, September 17, 2024

September 17--Hurry Up and Wait

Impatience asks for the impossible, wants to reach the goal without the means of getting there.  --Hegel

    Well, yes, I'm ready for "beam me up, Scottie!"--getting there instantly. How many times have parents throughout the eons heard, "Are we there yet?!?!" 
    Monday was full of impatience and wanting to get there. I reported Monday morning for jury duty as ordered (under threat of a fine) and after standing in line to check in and waiting for about an hour, they sent my group (designated with Judge Kaufman) away to return at 1:00 pm. 
    Alas, the closest parking for the Sedgwick County Courthouse is the parking garage north of the Courthouse. I HATE parking garages, mainly because I have no depth perception, and garages are just too close quarters for me. Plus there is the spiraling around. And on top of it all, the elevator in the parking garage is out of order. How's that for handicap support? At least we can park there for free with the "Juror" stamp on the ticket. 
    My return by 1:00 pm only brought me more waiting. Around 2:00 we were hustled up to Judge Kaufman's courtroom for arrangement according to a seating chart and more waiting. The judge and attorneys came in and went through the extensive questioning process to choose their twelve favorites. The case was a criminal charge of a felon in possession of a firearm. I think my comment of "gun violence is epidemic and something needs to be done about it" probably saved me, as I was not one of the chosen twelve. We escaped just before 5:00 pm. 
    Hopefully I'm in the clear again for a few more years!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment