Tuesday, September 10, 2024

September 10--Love Evolves

When you love someone you do not love them, all the time, in the exact same way, from moment to moment. It is an impossibility. It is a lie to pretend to. 
--Anne Morrow Lindbergh

    Let's start out with "you do not love them all the time." Note that I removed a comma. 😉😉 The folks I love the most--yep, I do not love them all the time. Or maybe I always love them but sometimes I don't like them. 
    Let's put the comma back in. (By the way, there is a great book for grammar/punctuation nerds titled "Eats, Shoots & Leaves" by Lynne Truss. Note that the comma after "Eats" is quite meaningful.) The quote above makes me think of the "5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. To summarize, we love by 1) quality time, 2) words of affection, 3) acts of service, 4) physical touch, and 5) gifts. Any good relationship is probably an ongoing, changing combination of those five actions. I can look at my marriage and see that those have changed over time. I would say that now our primary "language" with each other is #3. It works for us.
    When you love someone, being able to adapt to change is a very important skill!
        Leta
At Botanica in Wichita

No comments:

Post a Comment