Saturday, September 14, 2024

September 14--The Eye of the Beholder

Have a heart that never hardens, and a temper that never tires, and a touch that never hurts.  --Charles Dickens

    Dickens describes a very nurturing and nourishing way to live.
    A few years ago, I literally went overnight from "I can't paint" to "Sure I can, it's not rocket science." I've taken a bunch of painting workshops at City Arts, and I've displayed my efforts here on the blog. I did Zentangle drawings for my most recent book. I painted a bunch of barn quilts during the pandemic, which solidified my love of straight lines. For the longest time, I did not like anything I created. I was too critical. Taking on painting as a hobby has relieved me of that self-critical nature.
    Someone said, "Beauty is in the eye of the beholder." I say, "So is ugly." Below is the second clay pot I have finished painting. I give it a "90% ugly." I give myself credit for stepping "outside my box" and not doing straight lines. I like the glitter paint that is on the yellow spots. It will look just fine with a plant in it. It is more interesting than a plain clay pot. I am completely OK with designating it as ugly. I'm not sure what I was going for, but I think I missed it. Anyway, I bought two more pots and saucers at an estate sale on Thursday, so stay tuned for what I will come up with next. I am undaunted!
    Painting is an adventure, and I like that!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment