Monday, January 8, 2024

January 8--Turning Point

To free us from the expectations of others, to give us back to ourselves--there lies the great, the singular power of self-respect.  --Joan Didion

    Self-respect is not something that you didn't have, and then suddenly you have it 100%. It is, like most everything in life, a practice. I believe encouraging and growing self-respect is one of the many rewards of working a 12-Step program. There is a valuable concept in the program known as a "turning point." This comes from the A.A. mediation book titled "Daily Reflections" (page 15): 

"Every day I stand at turning points. My thoughts and actions can propel me toward growth or turn me down the road to old habits... Sometimes turning points are beginnings, as when I decide to start praising, instead of condemning someone. Or when I begin to ask for help instead of going it alone. At other times turning points are endings, such as when I see clearly the need to stop festering resentments or crippling self-seeking. Many shortcomings tempt me daily; therefore, I also have the daily opportunities to become aware of them."

    Willingness to change is a key aspect of self-respect.
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment