Sunday, January 14, 2024

January 14--Spiritual Practice

When you come right down to it, the secret of having it all is loving it all. 
--Joyce Brothers

    I believe the secret to loving it all is to have a consistent, rewarding spiritual practice, staying regularly in touch with Something Bigger Than Me that I know loves me and all of creation. The 12-Step programs base recovery on this with the oft-heard statement: "What we really have is a daily reprieve contingent on the maintenance of our spiritual condition." There is good reason for the word "practice" in the phrase "spiritual practice."   
    Just like all of us are unique, so are our practices. I have several "daily readers" that I use, plus I write the blog. It is a wonderful energy charge to open a new post with no idea what to write about, and yet something comes through me. I'm working on another straight-line painting, and the process of allowing that to develop is very spiritual for me. Much patience is required, not my strong suit. I review my intentions and hold loved ones in my heart, my version of prayer. I work in at least a subset of this practice even when I am traveling, because the chances of having a good day without it are slim. 
    Consistent spiritual practice is an act of self-love that enables us to bring our best selves to the world.
        Leta
Painting progress

No comments:

Post a Comment