Wednesday, January 10, 2024

January 10--Small World

If you want to be respected by others, the great thing is to respect yourself. Only by that, only by self-respect will you compel others to respect you. 
--Fyodor Dostoyevsky

    One thing I am noticing as I get older is that with age, one's world tends to get smaller. Friends and family pass or move away. We can't do as many things physically so we drop activities where we had been interacting with others regularly. We don't venture far from home. Simple daily activities that we used to do without thinking wipe us out for the day. Health issues can bring even further isolation. The pandemic certainly exacerbated this trend. 
    I have watched this happen to my brother, who is now in a memory care unit with multiple health problems. It is gradually happening with my in-laws, who at 94 are still living independently. 
    The idea of my personal world shrinking scares me. Fortunately at the moment, I have a choice in the matter. Having a couple sets of folks to play pickleball with is a big world-expander. Travel plans with friends are underway for 2024. I am making a conscious effort to see folks I haven't seen in a while. 
    I LOVE time by myself, but I don't want too much of it!
        Leta

No comments:

Post a Comment